By Vision Reporter
President Yoweri Museveni has described the new Deputy Chief of Defense Forces in the Uganda Peoples Defense Forces (UPDF) Lieutenant General Charles Angina, as a patriotic soldier who has derived his disciple by combining both Christianity and his profession.
"I first saw Angina in Tororo army barracks and he was very active. Since that time Angina has progressed because he combines Christianity with his profession.
"Christianity gives you a foundation for being a disciplined soldier; no drinking, womanizing, discos....all take a lot of time. A soldier needs adequate time to concentrate," he said.
Museveni made the remarks at the interfaith thanksgiving ceremony organized at Emokori grounds in Bukedea district headquarters for the promotion of Charles Angina to the rank of Lieutenant General as well as his appointment as the new Deputy Chief of Defence Forces in the UPDF.
The colourful ceremony was preceded by an interfaith service led by Bishop Nicodemus Okille and attended by Cabinet Ministers, Members of Parliament, traditional and Teso sub-region leaders as well as Senior Army Officers who included among others the former ADC to the President Major General Mbadi.
The President congratulated Lt.Gen.Charles Angina for his achievements, commended him for being a disciplined soldier and for sticking to his profession.
He disclosed to the congregation that the principle of patriotism and discipline enabled NRM government to build within a short time a robust and professional army.
"The bible says seek ye first the kingdom of God the rest will be added to you. But we in the NRM say seek ye first politics of patriotism, the rest will be added to you. If you are a patriot and a disciplined soldier....we go with you. But if you are not a patriot, or not a good soldier.. you are out," he said.
Museveni also commended the family of Lt. Gen. Angina for being supportive to their loved one.
To the people of Bukedea and Teso sub-region in general, Mr. Museveni strongly advised them to adopt well planned, profitable modern commercial agriculture that will get them out of poverty.
"That is the challenge. 5% of the homesteads have started growing fruits especially citrus. My question is where are the other 95%? How do they get out of poverty," he asked.
The president acknowledged that the people of Teso sub-region are very hardworking but only needed to adopt modern commercial agricultural practices that will liberate them from poverty.
Museveni on arrival commissioned the construction of Bukedea district administration block. The government had earlier injected Ug.Shs.100 million towards the building of the facility.
The host Lt. General Charles Angina thanked President Museveni who is also the Commander in Chief for gracing his ceremony and for the trust bestowed upon him to deserve the promotion of Lieutenant General and also to appoint him as the Deputy Chief of Defense Forces. He pledged never to betray that trust and thanked God for the gift of life.
The main celebrant Bishop Nicodemus Okille praised President Museveni for valuing principles of ethics and for not responding to sentimental issues while sharing the National cake.
“The President uses merit as a yard stick for promotions, but some people demand for promotions when they have not even acquired the required standards," he said.