World
Two dead, 30 missing in Russian psychiatric home fire
Publish Date: Sep 13, 2013
Two dead, 30 missing in Russian psychiatric home fire
Russian firefighters battle a blaze at a psychiatric hospital in the village of Luka in the northwest Novgorod region, September 13, 2013. At least two people were killed and over 30 have been reported missing after the fire swept through the wooden building, in the latest tragedy to hit the country’s mental health institutions (AFP)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

At least two people were killed and over 30 reported missing after a fire swept through a wooden psychiatric hospital in northwest Russia overnight Thursday, in the latest tragedy to hit the country's mental health institutions.

The fire in the hospital in the village of Luka-Oksochi 220 kilometres (137 miles) southeast of Saint Petersburg appeared to have been started by a patient who was either smoking or deliberately set fire to his bed, officials said.

The institution was made out of wood and officials said that it had been previously warned by the judicial authorities to improve its fire security. A criminal probe has been opened into suspected negligence.

The governor of the local Novgorod region, Sergei Mitin, told the Rossiya 24 news channel that two corpses had already been found. However the final toll risks being far higher.

Giving an earlier toll of one dead, the Russian Investigative Committee said in a statement that 35 people were missing after the fire which broke out at 4:00 am (midnight GMT).

"According to preliminary information, one of the patients set fire to himself and his bed," said the committee, a Russian law enforcement body that probes major cases.

"One nurse died trying to save the patients," it added. However media also quoted investigators as saying the fire may have been started by a patient smoking in his bed.

The Interfax news agency quoted a security source as saying that the two corpses that had been found had been completely burned and could not be identified for the moment.

Television pictures showed that the building -- reportedly made of wood -- had been reduced to smouldering wreckage by the fire.

Russian media said that 59 people were believed to be in the building at the time of the fire but around 20 had been evacuated in time.

Local governor Mitin said that the hospital was intended for patients with grave psychological disorders and this had made evacuation even more complicated.

Officials indicated that concerns had already been aired about the state of the building.

"This building had a weak resistance to fire. It was made of wood. The administration had been told by the legal authorities to remedy numerous violations in fire security by August 1," said the head of oversight at the emergencies ministry Yuri Deshovykh.

"But this was not done," he said, quoted by Russian news agencies.

The Investigative Committee said it had opened criminal probe in suspected negligence causing death. Spokesman Vladimir Markin said investigators were already on the scene and seizing documents as part of the criminal probe.

The fire was the latest tragedy to hit a medical institution in Russia, which still suffers from outdated Soviet-era infrastructure and lax security procedures.

In April, a fire that ravaged a psychiatric hospital in the Moscow region killed 38 people, most of them patients engulfed by flames as they slept behind barred windows.

In 2006, a fire in a Moscow drug rehabilitation clinic killed 45 women, many of whom were trapped by metal bars on the windows that staff could not open.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Death toll from DRC machete attack hits 19
NINETEEN people, including a pregnant woman, were killed in a machete attack in a region of the Democratic Republic of Congo that has been repeatedly attacked by Ugandan rebels...
Muslim-majority Indonesia cracks down on alcohol sales
Indonesia on Thursday banned small retailers from selling beer, despite an outcry from the booze industry and in tourism hotspots over the Muslim-majority country''s latest offensive against drinking....
Obama to remove Cuba from terror blacklist
President Barack Obama is set to remove Cuba from a list of state sponsors of terrorism, in a landmark step paving the way towards restoring ties frozen for five decades....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter