World
Cleveland rapist Castro found dead in cell
Publish Date: Sep 04, 2013
Cleveland rapist Castro found dead in cell
Ariel Castro, pictured August 1, 2013 during the sentencing in Cleveland, Ohio, who was sentenced to life in prison for hooking three women captive and raping them for a decade, has been found dead in his prison cell. AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

Ariel Castro, sentenced to life in prison for holding three young women captive and raping them for a decade, has been found dead in his prison cell, news reports said.

CBS television and other US news outlets reported that the former Cleveland, Ohio school bus driver, who was sentenced to life in prison last month, was found dead in his cell late Tuesday.

The 53-year-old Castro was found hanging in his cell and officials tried to resuscitate him, according to a statement from the Ohio Department of Corrections, according to TV station KTLA of Los Angeles.

"He was housed in protective custody which means he was in a cell by himself and rounds are required every 30 minutes at staggered intervals. Upon finding inmate Castro, prison medical staff began performing life saving measures," the statement said.

Castro was pronounced dead at 10:52 pm.

"A thorough review of this incident is underway," the statement by corrections department spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said, according to KTLA.

Smith was not immediately reachable for comment.

Castro's crime shocked the country and led to an outpouring of national pity for the three victims, who were abducted separately between 2002 and 2004.

Their names are Amanda Berry, now 27; Gina DeJesus, 23; and Michelle Knight, 32.

They ranged in age from 14 to 20 when they were abducted off the street by Castro in a working class neighborhood of Cleveland.

They escaped May 6 when Berry managed to break open part of the front door and call out to a neighbor for help.

At the trial it emerged that they were brutalized, chained up and kept in abysmal conditions.

Berry had a daughter fathered by Castro.

The white delapidated house where they were tormented for around a decade has been demolished.

Castro was sentenced to life plus 1,000 years.

At his sentencing hearing August 1, Castro had insisted he was not evil but rather addicted to sex.

"I'm not a monster. I'm sick," he pleaded.

Despite having pleaded guilty to 977 charges related to his victims' brutal decade-long ordeal, including many rapes and the murder of a foetus through beating its mother, Castro said he was not a violent man.

Castro said he had himself been sexually abused as a child and had grown up obsessed with sex, addicted to pornography and a compulsive masturbator.

He said he had not plotted the three kidnaps, but had acted on impulse.

"I am not a monster. I am a normal person. I am just sick. I have an addiction just like an alcoholic has an addiction," he said.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Two dead in US school shooting after online warnings
A US student who had issued chilling warnings on Twitter opened fire in a school cafeteria on Friday, killing at least one person and critically injuring three before taking his own life....
European stocks on Ebola, eurozone concerns
Europe's main stock markets pulled back Friday on concerns over New York's first Ebola case and the outlook for the eurozone....
Mexico governor steps down over student disappearances
The governor of the Mexican state where 43 students vanished a month ago following a confrontation with police allegedly linked to a major drug cartel has bowed to pressure to stand down....
A doctor who recently returned to New York from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive on Thursday for the deadly virus, the first confirmed case in the city, officials said....
Missing Mexico journalist found shot dead
THE editor of an investigative magazine in violence-wracked northwestern Mexico who disappeared two weeks ago was found dead with gunshot wounds...
Bashir calls opponents for talks
SUDAN'S President Omar al-Bashir has urged opponents to join him in 'national dialogue' talks, days after it was announced he would be seeking re-election...
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter