By Jeff Andrew Lule
THE Katikkiro, Charles Peter Mayiga, has warned those working against the reconstruction of the burnt Kasubi tombs, saying he will not let anyone stand in his way.
Mayiga’s remarks followed reports that some radical kingdom royalists at the tombs had frustrated the reconstruction work under the guise of performing rituals all the time.
He stressed that though cultural norms are to be followed while reconstructing the tombs, they should not be used to frustrate the reconstruction works.
Mayiga, who was touring the tombs with his cabinet ministers on Thursday, was shocked to find that no work had been done at the site for the last three years.
The delay was also attributed to the lack of funds.
To accelerate the reconstruction, Mayiga said between October 20 and 30, he will camp at Kasubi tombs during daytime to receive building materials from clan members and well-wishers.
He intends to spend a night at the tombs on October 31 ahead of the breaking of the ground for the construction of a perimeter wall around the tombs on November 1.
Mayiga said this is part of his two-month campaign to mobilise Baganda and other people to donate towards the reconstruction of the heritage site.
The campaign will also involve visiting key towns in Buganda to fundraise for the project. The towns include Mukono, Luwero, Masaka, Kampala and Mityana.
Mayiga stressed that the tombs must be completed before the end of March next year.
He said a new reconstruction committee has been formed to ensure the smooth flow of the work at the tombs.