World
DR Congo rebels demand ceasefire before new talks
Publish Date: May 03, 2013
DR Congo rebels demand ceasefire before new talks
M23 political leader Bertrand Bisimwa. Photo by AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision


 The M23 rebel movement active in the troubled east of the Democratic Republic of Congo said Thursday it would only resume peace talks if the government signs up to a ceasefire.


M23 political leader Bertrand Bisimwa told AFP that DR Congo government forces and the Hutu rebel group the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) were advancing on two fronts "and we don't know what their intentions are."

"Our delegation will return to Kampala if -- and only if -- the government agrees to sign a ceasefire with us immediately, " he said.

Military spokesman Olivier Hamuli rejected any links with the FDLR, and refuted claims that the army had moved on the ground. "It's false, it's propaganda. We could never join forces with an armed group, and even less so with FDLR, and we're not preparing an offensive against them (M23)," he told AFP.

The M23, which has been fighting the army in the volatile east since May last year, triggered a new crisis in November when it occupied the key town of Goma for more than a week before withdrawing under regional mediation.

The group's ultimatum Thursday came shortly after a visit by the new UN special envoy for Africa's Great Lakes region, former Irish president Mary Robinson.

Robinson, who is on a regional tour leading political efforts to bring an end to more than two decades of conflict in the mineral-rich region, on Tuesday voiced "shock" over the scale of human rights abuses there.

The United Nations brokered a February peace accord signed by 11 African states and the following month the Security Council approved the creation of a new brigade to help the UN mission in DR Congo.

Under the accord, the 11 states vowed not to interfere in the affairs of their neighbours, and DR Congo President Joseph Kabila promised democratic advances and improved security.

The M23, which Kinshasa and a panel of UN experts say was created as a Rwandan proxy, is accused of a number of rights abuses and has been slapped with UN sanctions.

Both Rwanda and Uganda have been accused of backing rebel groups in the region. AFP

     

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
French baby
A four-month-old baby boy is in hospital after a circus camel bit him on the head, French police said on Thursday....
Man gets 10 million dollars for wrongful conviction
A New York man was awarded $10 million after spending 16 years in prison for a murder he did not commit, his lawyer said Wednesday....
Parents of executed journalist praise their
Friends, relatives and colleagues have paid tribute to American journalist James Foley, executed by Islamic State jihadists, with his parents praising their "fearless" son....
Liberia
Violence erupts in an Ebola quarantine zone in Liberia's capital when soldiers open fire and use tear gas on crowds....
Vietnam tests two Nigerians for Ebola
Vietnam is testing two Nigerians for the deadly Ebola virus after they arrived on a flight to Ho Chi Minh City showing symptoms of fever, the health ministry said....
Indian soldier
The Indian army has found the body of a soldier 18 years after he went missing on the Siachen glacier in disputed Indian Kashmir, police said Wednesday...
Will strict traffic laws reduce road accidents?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter