today's Pick
Land evictions on despite Museveni directive
Publish Date: Mar 23, 2013
newvision
  • mail
  • img

By Brian Mayanja

Less than a month since President Yoweri Museveni issued a stern warning against illegal land evictions, the vice seems to be escalating, especially in the central region.

This week, a businessman, Robert Mulindwa, threatened to evict over 100 residents of Nangabo in Wakiso district.

According to residents, Mulindwa hired Price Company, a private firm, to survey the land without their consent.

“We saw three people surveying our land. When we confronted them, they said the land had been sold. On Tuesday, excavators cleared a big part of the land,” Muhammad Kizito, a resident, said.

The eviction prompted Wakiso district Woman MP Rosemary Sseninde to convene a meeting with the residents on Wednesday, where she halted the exercise.

In another incident Wakiso resident district commissioner Dan Kaguta arrested a businessman, John Akampulira, who wanted to evict several families in Kyasa village, Kakiri sub-county.

Last week, over 27 people with disabilities,operating in Wandegeya, survived eviction.

The operation, led by Kampala Metropolitan operations commander, Sam Omala, was halted after it became bloody.

The group, under their umbrella body, Abalema United Efforts Association, claim that the land was given to them by President Yoweri Museveni in 2005.

Last month, the President named a committee, headed by minister Idah Nantaba, which will fight illegal land evictions. Sseninde is also a member.

When Saturday Vision asked Sseninde why her committee had not executed its mandate, she said it had not officially started working. Sseninde confirmed that there is an increase in land evictions, but blamed the problem on courts, which she said favour rich people.

“Court officials have failed to implement the President’s directive. They make decisions in favour of the rich. That is why rich men do not fear criminal prosecution,” she said.

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Chinese court jails man for growing beard
A court in China''s mainly Muslim Xinjiang region has sentenced a man to six years in prison for "provoking trouble" and growing a beard....
Air Canada plane crash lands at airport
Twenty-three people were injured when an Air Canada jet struck an antenna and crash landed as it attempted to touch down....
Food poisoning sickens over 600 villagers
More than 600 Cambodian villagers, mostly school children, fell ill after eating contaminated food provided to a school during an anti-child labour event....
Police investigate death threats to BBC boss
British police were on Sunday investigating death threats against BBC director-general Tony Hall following his decision to popular "Top Gear" presenter Jeremy Clarkson....
Spacecraft docks at ISS for year-long mission
A Russian Soyuz spacecraft with three crew on board has successfully docked at the International Space Station....
Inspector General of Police (IGP), Gen. Kale Kayihura has called for calm following reports of a planned terrorist attack on Kampala....
Should police arrest parents who do not take their children to school?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter