National
U.N. drones for Congo as early as June
Publish Date: Feb 15, 2013
U.N. drones for Congo as early as June
  • mail
  • img
newvision

KINSHASA - Surveillance drones could be used by peacekeepers in the rugged hills of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the first such deployment of unmanned aircraft in a U.N. mission, as early as June, Congo's prime minister said on Thursday.

The Security Council approved their use last month in Congo's porous and volatile borderlands, where U.N. experts claim a year-old rebellion has received support from neighbouring Rwanda and Uganda, a charge both countries deny.

"The process of acquiring drones has already been launched. By June or July they should be operational," Augustin Matata Ponyo Mapon told reporters after returning from New York where he met Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon.

A spokesman for Congo's U.N. peacekeeping mission, known as MONUSCO, said he was not aware of a deployment date for the drones.

U.N. peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous told the Security Council in January that aerial systems were needed to monitor an area of rugged terrain, thick forests and possessing few roads. But unlike unmanned U.S. aircraft that have carried out strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, the U.N. drones will not be armed.

The Council said it would be a trial deployment "to enhance situational awareness ... on a case-by case basis" after concerns from Russia, China and Rwanda over the use of aerial surveillance equipment delayed the decision for weeks.

MONUSCO initially asked for surveillance drones in 2008, but the request was never met.

The M23 rebels began taking large swathes of the mineral-rich east early last year, accusing the government of failing to honour a previous peace deal.

They seized and held the eastern city of Goma for 11 days in November, dealing a severe blow to the image of MONUSCO, whose peacekeepers did not intervene to stop the well-equipped force, and reviving interest in the use of drones.

An uneasy truce is now in place, and Uganda is currently hosting talks between Kinshasa and the rebels. But progress towards a negotiated settlement to the crisis in the east, scene of two decades of bloodshed, has been slow.

Matata Ponyo also said that significant advances had been made towards the deployment to the country's east of a 4000-troop strong intervention force agreed by central African nations last year.

The force, composed mainly of soldiers from eastern and southern African nations, will operate under the existing U.N. peacekeeping mandate but is tasked with pursing illegal armed groups.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
President Yoweri Museveni has held discussions with the SPLA in opposition team led by Gen. Alfred Lado Gore over peace efforts in South Sudan.The meeting that was arranged by the Uganda Peace Support team set up to broker peace talks in the ongoing conflict in South Sudan....
MPs demand dialogue with S Sudan over border conflict
A parliamentary fact finding mission on the border conflict between Uganda and South Sudan has recommended that Government urgently conducts open dialogue with its neighbor to harmonise the issues at stake....
Learn to save and spend less, Ugandans told
Ugandan-Asian investor in real estate, Miraj Barot of Tirupati Development has challenged youth to learn how to save and spend less if they are to succeed in business....
EALA Speaker suspension: Uganda to intervene
Uganda is studying the circumstances under which East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) Speaker, Margaret Zziwa, was suspended by members....
Protester loses fingers to tear gas
A man from Mayuge district has lost fingers on his right hand after a tear gas canister reportedly exploded in his hands.Local police say Gaster Ibinga picked up a tear gas canister that was hurled at fishermen who were rioting at Busuyi landing site, and tried to throw it back at the police....
Ncube tips media on technologies
Media entrepreneur, Trevor Ncube and owner of South Africa’s Mail & Guardian newspaper has tipped Ugandan media to come up with s that use technology to improve delivery of news and information....
Should Govt lease parts of Lake Victoria to private developers?
Its Ok
No Way
Not Sure
follow us
subscribe to our news letter