By Joyce Namutebi and John Semakula
A cross section of MPs whose push for Parliament to be recalled from recess hit a dead end on Thursday, have decided to take the fight to the Constitutional Court.
The MPs say the precedent set by Speaker Rebecca Kadaga when she rejected their project is disastrous to the business of the House.
Ntenjeru South MP Patrick Nsanja told New Vision at Parliament on Friday that the pro-recall MPs had resolved to seek interpretation on two issues in Kadaga’s ruling.
Kadaga rejected the petition on grounds that some of the MPs who had earlier appended their signatures on it had withdrawn their names.
The speaker said the withdrawal of names from the petition deflated it of the required number of signatures and rendered it ineligible.
Now, the pro-recall MPs want court to pronounce itself on whether MPs can withdraw the signatures they have appended on a petition and at what stage.
Kyotera County MP Haruna Kasolo Kyeyune said the precedent the speaker set would be taken to other parliamentary business if not challenged.
“The precedent might mean that MPs can also withdraw signatures from committee reports. If that is the case then Parliament may fail to execute any business,” Kyeyune said.
The MPs insist that Kadaga was supposed to stick to the precedent her predecessor, James Wapakhabulo, set in the Sixth Parliament, when he denied MPs a chance to withdraw their signatures on a petition to censure a minister.
President Yoweri Museveni had vowed that Parliament would not be recalled. Efforts to reach Kadaga were futile.