World
Nigeria arrests eight in failed bomb attempt
Publish Date: Dec 07, 2012
newvision
  • mail
  • img

KANO, Nigeria - Eight suspected Islamists were arrested in northern Nigeria on Thursday after police said they threw an improvised bomb at a police patrol vehicle but missed.

The suspects, believed to be from the Islamist sect Boko Haram, followed the police vehicle in a taxi In the city of Kano before hurling explosives out of the window, but missed their target, police spokesman Magaji Musa Majiya said in a statement.

"The police officers swiftly disembarked, cordoned off the area and arrested the eight occupants," he said. "No injury was sustained during the attack."

Boko Haram has become the main security threat to Africa's top oil producer.

At least 2,800 people have died in fighting in the largely Muslim north since the sect launched an uprising against the government in 2009 in a bid to impose Sharia law on Nigeria, watchdog group Human Rights Watch says.

Its fighters usually target security forces, politicians or Christians worshippers.

Kano, Nigeria's second biggest city, has been relatively quiet in the latter half of this year. In January, it was scene of the single deadliest attack of the insurgency, a coordinated strike on several police stations in which 186 people were killed, many of them civilians.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Burundi warns army could be called out over protests
Burundi's government warned Monday it could call out the army if protests escalate over controversial plans by President Pierre Nkurunziza to defy a two-term limit and seek re-election....
Distress call from
The International Organization for Migration said Monday it had received a distress call from a sinking boat in the Mediterranean carrying more than 300 people, with at least 20 people reported dead....
White House fence climber arrested
US Secret Service agents arrested an intruder who scaled the White House fence late Sunday, officials said. The individual was immediately arrested while climbing the fence on the south side of the presidential mansion, Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary said in a statement....
EU ministers headed Monday into crisis talks under pressure to confront people-smuggling gangs, with more than 700 people feared dead in what may be the Mediterranean's deadliest migrant disaster to date....
Zimbabwe evacuates nationals from South Africa
ZIMBABWE is evacuating its nationals caught in anti-foreigner violence that has left scores dead in South Africa...
S.Africa vows crackdown against xenophobic attacks
SOUTH Africa on Sunday vowed to hunt down those behind a wave of attacks targeting immigrants, saying 307 people had been arrested over violence that has left at least seven people dead...
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter