National
'Kony out of touch with his commanders'
Publish Date: Nov 25, 2012
'Kony out of touch with his commanders'
Okello sits on his mothers lap on his return home after spending ten years with the rebel group.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Godfrey Ojore

A former escort of Maj. Gen. Caeser Acellam, has revealed that the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), Joseph Kony, has lost contact with all his commanders following intensive pursuit by the UPDF and the American commandos.

Godfrey Okello, 21, was forced into rebellion after he was abducted in Teso at the age of 11 when he was in P3. Kony assigned Okello to be Acellam’s escort. Acellam was captured nine months ago.

“The pressure has forced Kony not to meet his commanders for over two years now. They do not even talk on phone,” revealed Okello, who escaped from the bush in May this year.

Okello was reunited with his family in Amusu village in Amuria district last week.

Okello said Kony had instructed them not to use any kind of device for communication because the army could easily locate them.

“Acellam told me that they stopped using mobile phones and radio calls,” Okello said.

He said this could have been one of the reasons Acellam opted to surrender.

He added: “Many rebels want to surrender, but remain back because the commanders always told us that if we surrendered, the UPDF would kill us.”

“When they suspect that you are planning to desert the force, they either kill you or transfer you to another camp,” Okello said.

In an exclusive interview just after the reunion with his family, he also revealed that Acellam told him about his plans to surrender a year before his capture.

“Life became hard and Acellam told me to prepare for escape, but we failed,” Okello said.

On the day of Acellam’s capture, Okello says, he (Acellam) was on his way to surrender.

“When I returned to our camp, I did not find anyone. I had three magazines and I decided to go to surrender in Oboo where the army was. I handed them my uniform and the magazines I was carrying,” Okello narrated.

UPDF then flew him to Gulu where he was taken to the World Vision rehabilitation centre till last week, when he was reunited with his parents.

There was much celebration upon his return.

“What a day! Okello has added to the number of my voters, thanks be to God, ” Francis Oluma, the LC5 chairman of Amuria exclaimed.

His mother, Margret Apio, said her son’s return was Christmas in November. She organised a party where a number of goats were slaughtered.

“I had lost hope that he would return because I knew he was killed, but thank God for protecting him and bringing him back safely,” Apio said as she carried her son on her lap.

A second born in a family of seven, Okello wants to enroll for a technical course.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Uganda relies on EU satellite for aviation
Lawmakers on the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) have been told that Uganda, in the absence of functioning radar, is relying on a satellite owned by the European Union to ensure aviation safety at Entebbe Airport....
Govt told to use different interventions in PRDP
The Government has been advised to use different intervention approach to ensure that the lives of the people in northern Uganda improves as Peace, Recovery Development Plan (PRDP II) is coming to an end....
UPDF commander has case to answer - court
The Army’s top court has ruled that, Col. Hassan Kimbowa, formally the commander of UPDF Battle Group 11+ in Somalia should defend himself against charges of selling fuel meant for peace keeping operations in the horn of Africa nation....
Another Inter-Agency appeal for S. Sudanese refugees launched
The Ugandan government, UNHCR and other UN agencies have launched another Inter-Agency Appeal asking donor community to avail them with more than US$ 220m (about sh572b) to address the plight of South Sudan refugees living in in the country...
MPs’ absenteeism irks Oulanyah
Frustrated by the poor attendance of plenary by Members of Parliament, the Deputy Speaker Jacob Oulanyah made a directive that all committees should stop business until the house has completed passing the 2014/2015 budget....
Bakabulindi targets Namboole title now
Nakivubo Stadium and National Council of Sports (NCS) having acquired the land titles that give them ownership of the land where the facilities are seated, State Minister Charles Bakabulindi is left with only Mandela National Sports Complex Namboole to accomplish his mission...
Will early retirement solve Uganda’s unemployment problem?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter