today's Pick
Police stop visits to inmates over Ebola
Publish Date: Nov 20, 2012
newvision
  • mail
  • img

By Darious Magara and Innocent Anguyo

The Police have halted visitation of inmates in all prisons across the city and neighbouring districts.

The move is aimed at curbing the spread of the deadly Ebola haemorrhagic fever among inmates and other people.

Addressing the media at a weekly Police briefing yesterday, Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson Ibin Ssenkumbi yesterday said the visitors will only be given access to the suspects if the reason is serious enough.

“We hereby call upon friends, relatives and sympathisers of suspects to refrain from visiting them in the meantime because they will not be allowed to meet them (suspects),” he reiterated.

Ssenkumbi, however, noted that the move is temporary, saying once the Ministry of Health declares the country Ebola-free, the suspects will receive visitors normally.

The move comes two days after the Ebola virus claimed another life on Sunday, bringing the death toll in the latest outbreak of the infectious disease in the country to five.

Halima Nakimbugwe, 29, died at Bombo Hospital five days after she was admitted on Tuesday last week.

Nakimbugwe is suspected to have contracted the disease while nursing her husband, a bodaboda operator, who was the first person to die in the latest outbreak of the epidemic in Luwero district.

Two other people confirmed to have been infected with the virus have been admitted at Mulago Hospital.

Another 12 suspected to have contracted the deadly virus are also admitted at Mulago, while another six are at Bombo Hospital.

Health Intelligence also reveals that the number of people suspected to have contracted the epidemic had risen from 34 to 40.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
ICC releases four DR Congo war crimes suspect aides
The International Criminal Court on Tuesday ordered the interim release of four suspects in former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba's case to avoid their pre-trial detention becoming "disproportionate"....
Museveni calls for political mobilization against Ebola
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has expressed sadness at the loss of lives in West Africa due to the Ebola outbreak and said that the people of Uganda stand with their brothers and sisters...
Minister orders musician’s arrest over x-rated video
IRRITATED by the recently released X-rated music video of little known city singer Panadol Extra, Fr. Simon Lokodo, the Minister of Ethics and Integrity, ordered the arrest of the singer...
THE highly contagious Ebola virus, which has killed more than 4,500 people in west Africa since December and has fueled global alarm...
Ugandan rebels spread fear with DR Congo massacres
You sent soldiers to wipe us out, but here we are." That was the chilling message from Ugandan rebels during the latest massacre in the northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, according to one survivor...
Mbabazi steps aside as NRM secretary general
National Resistance Secretary General, Amama Mbabazi, has taken leave of absence from office....
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter