Health
3 more test positive to Ebola in LuweeroPublish Date: Nov 16, 2012
.
  • mail
  • img

 

By Francis Kagolo                                                     

Three more residents of Nyimbwa in Luweero district have tested positive to the Ebola haemorrhagic fever.  

This brings the number of confirmed Ebola cases in the district since last month to six, three of whom have died.           

“The blood samples for three people which we sent yesterday have come out indicating they are also infected with Ebola,” Richard Kawenyera, the district Ebola surveillance officer, told Saturday Vision yesterday (Friday).           

Kawenyera did not divulge details about the patients saying he was too busy.           

But it is believed that they are related to the three members of the same family who died in Kakute sub-county, Sambu Parish, Nyimbwa sub-county.

The first case, a boda boda rider died on October 25 after presenting signs of high fever and bleeding from some body parts, although no samples were taken for testing, nor was the case reported to the health centre.

The second case, a 25 year old woman died on Saturday after nursing the boda boda cyclist while the third, also a member of the same family, died on Monday at Nyimbwa Health Centre IV.

About two other people suspected to have come into contact with those infected or the deceased are under isolation at Mulago Hospital.

The acting director general of health services, Dr Dennis Lwamafa said health experts were also tracing at least fifteen suspected cases in different parts of the country.

The recent Ebola outbreak comes barely two months after the country was declared Ebola-free.

The health ministry has dispatched a team of experts to assess the situation in Luweero, and plans are underway to create isolation centres at Nyimbwa Health Centre IV and Bombo Hospital.

Dr Miriam Nanyunja, the WHO disease prevention and control advisor said a team of health experts had arrived to boost efforts to contain the epidemic.

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Doctors remove 232 teeth from boy
Doctors in a hospital in India have removed as many as 232 teeth from the mouth of a 17-year-old boy....
China shuts meat factory supplying McDonald
Shanghai has shut a factory of US food provider OSI Group for selling out-of-date meat to restaurant giants including McDonald's and KFC....
Search for AIDS cure pushes ahead despite setbacks
Scientists have owed to press ahead with their quest for a cure for AIDS, despite losing a veteran colleague and suffering a setback in research....
AIDS community mourns colleagues on crashed plane
The world AIDS community is mourning as many as 100 passengers reportedly on a crashed Malaysian Airlines plane....
Three-year-old Gulu boy hits puberty
“At six months, my son started to develop a deep voice, pimples on the face, pubic hair," says a perplexed mother....
Bukwo, where pit-latrines cost more than houses
Moses Mashak, 41, established a home in the area in 1996. But it took him 11 years to dig a pit-latrine at his home....
Should government review powers of kings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter