By Vision Reporter
Buyaga West County MP Barnabas Tinkasimire's house in Mukono was set on fire in the wee hours of Tuesday, injuring his wife and a relative.
The two victims of the fire were identified as Agnes Tinkasimire – the wife of the outspoken MP – and a relative of his wife, Caroline Awino.
Tinkasimire is also the chairperson of the Parliamentary Committee on presidential affairs
The fire ate through the entire sitting room, leaving a trail of blackness on most of the objects. But ofcourse, some stuff was spared. PHOTO/Henry Nsubuga
At the time of the incident, Tinkasimire was not at the house, it is said.
The officer in charge of Bweyogerere Fire brigade station, Fred Sserwanga, said the incident happened at around 2am.
The arsonists used petrol to light the fire, Sserwanga reported.
Our reporter says the victims have been admitted at Nsambya Hospital with serious injuries.
Tinkasimire told New Vision online on phone that the unfortunate incident will not in any way deter the work of the presidential affairs committee.
The said committee oversees Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) activities.
In a charged tone, the MP said the committee is made up of several members and it is unfortunate that he is being targeted.
"It is very unfortunate because this was a decision of the committee not just me," Tinkasimire said.
He was referring to the ongoing hullabaloo surrounding the impending eviction of tenants from Centenary Park by KCCA and other city demolitions, which his committee backs.
Prompted to mention names, Tinkasimire said he could not name anyone.