Education
Former TZ leader to grace Kampala University graduation
Publish Date: Mar 01, 2012
Former TZ leader to grace Kampala University graduation
Dr. Mwinyi is expected to attend with his family. (File)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Darious Magara and Andrew Ssenyonga

Former Tanzanian president, Dr Ali Hassan Mwinyi is expected in Uganda where he will grace the 9th graduation ceremony of Kampala University (KU) today.

The university’s Vice Chancellor (VC)Prof. Badru Kateregga told journalists that Mwinyi will be accompanied by members of his family.

Dr. Mwinyi served as Tanzania’s president for a decade, from 1985 to 1995.

Kateregga said the graduation ceremony will be presided over by the university's Chancellor Prof. Edward Rugumayo.

He said the ceremony will also be attended by the Kenyan education minister Prof. Sam Ongeri.

Kateregga said 2048 graduands will be awarded degrees, diplomas, and certificates in various disciplines. Of these, 74 will be awarded Masters degrees and 24 Postgraduate diplomas.

Of the 2048 graduands, 57.9% are male and the other 42.1% are female.

The VC revealed that about half of the university students were from the East African community.

Kateregga, who is also the chairman of the Uganda University Council, lauded the Government for creating a conducive atmosphere for investment in education.

He however, said that some more Government interventions were needed to make Uganda more competitive in offering education services in the region.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Even though she is not a professional teacher, Shirah Narinda, a first year Bachelor of Commerce student at Makerere University showed up at a teacher mentorship training workshop recently....
PM, teachers meet over salary increment
A total of 170 teachers' representatives countrywide are due to meet the Prime Minister over teachers' salary increment....
Students urged to join EAC writing competition
Students are urged to participate in the EAC essay-writing competition to broaden their understanding of regional issues....
Over 19,000 students due to sit UBTEB exams
The ministry of finance has cleared sh2bn for Uganda Business and Technical Examinations Board to conduct its 7th examinations sitting series....
University chiefs to tackle relevance of higher education
RELEVANCE of higher education in a globalized world will be at the centre of the conference that will bring together distinguished scholars across the globe...
Special needs schools still lacking in the country
MANY children with disabilities are denied their right to education with parents or guardians claiming that there are no schools were these children can study from...
Should politicians be banned from addressing religious gatherings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter