Education
Govt to dismiss school heads charging illegal fees
Publish Date: Feb 06, 2012
Govt to dismiss school heads charging illegal fees
Students of Stella Marris reporting back to school.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Francis Kagolo

As over 300,000 students prepare to join the free Universal Secondary Education (USE) programme this year, the Government has threatened to dismiss head teachers charging illegal fees.

Speaking at the end of the national selections exercise for Senior One and technical institutions, education minister Jessica Alupo, also warned private schools against increasing school fees.

Alupo said the Government would not tolerate such “theft’’, adding that high school fees hinder access to education.

“The Government believes levying of school fees should be done in a fair manner that appreciates the economic challenges of the majority of the population,” she stated.

“It is illegal for head teachers to levy USE students extra fees. Those head teachers who are adamant will be disciplined for flaunting the USE guidelines,” Alupo added.

The minister said all fees should be approved by the ministry before being implemented. She also warned schools against admitting student numbers that are not commensurate with the number of teachers and classrooms.

A total of 331,360 students were admitted in USE schools, public technical institutes and government-aided secondary schools that do not have the USE programme.

Of these, 304,180 students are to benefit from the USE education in 1,861 schools and technical institutions across the country. This is the highest number of admissions recorded since the inception of USE in 2007, according to Francis Agula, the commissioner for secondary education.

Senior One students are scheduled to report for first term of February 13 Meanwhile, the ministry has launched a system where students can use the short message (SMS) platform on their phones to find out the schools where they have been admitted.

The minister said the initiative would make admission and registration easy. Students are advised to type S1, leave a space, their index number and send to 6600.

Alupo was optimistic that the SMS system would avert some problems associated with admissions.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Law Dev
The Law Development Centre will soon be decongested if government plans to open four constituent colleges come to fruition....
Girls beat boys in 2014 A
The results for the 2014 Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) have been released, with females performing better than their male counterparts....
Ugandan educationists have proposed to government a wide range of changes in the education system, including banning boarding schools at primary level...
2014 UACE: Results to be released today
The results for last year’s Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) examinations will be released today, according to education minister Jessica Alupo....
Three disqualified from Makerere University guild race
Three students have been disqualified from the 2015 Makerere University guild presidential race that is due to begin at Livingstone Hall on Friday....
Top US uni mistakenly offers place to 800 applicants
A major US university is apologizing to 800 applicants after it erroneously sent them emails offering them places in its elite computer studies program....
Do you think government is doing enough to contain the typhoid out break?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter