World
Kony: McCain attacks Obama over Uganda deployment
Publish Date: Oct 17, 2011
Kony: McCain attacks Obama over Uganda deployment
US President Barack Obama
  • mail
  • img
newvision

The Obama administration surprised a lot of folks late last week when it announced it was sending around 100 American troops to Uganda to help regional forces take out Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony.

But could the United States ultimately end up sending more troops?

While invoking the memory of American operations in Somalia and Lebanon, Republican Arizona Senator John McCain warned the White House Sunday to not allow the mission in Uganda to spiral into something bigger.
 
“First of all, I think as you described, one of the most horrible groups ever to inhabit the earth is this Lord’s Resistance Army,” McCain said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”
 
“And I think it is appropriate for us to do what we can to prevent and eradicate them. It is a big part of the world. We don’t know any of the details. I remember Somalia. I remember Lebanon. We’ve got to be very careful about how we engage. This slippery slope thing could happen there. I think it’s mainly humanitarian in this case.”
 
According to The Daily Caller, McCain went on to criticize President Obama for not consulting with Congress before announcing the operation.
 
“This guy [Joseph] Kony and this Lord’s Resistance Army are guilty of unspeakable behavior and the human rights organizations all over the world want this to stop,” McCain said.
 
“I worry about with the best of intentions we somehow get engaged in a commitment that we can’t get out of, that’s happened before in our history and we need an explanation. And I’m very disappointed, again, that the administration has not consulted with members of Congress before taking such action.
 
I’ve been under four presidents, and this is the least communicative with Congress of any administration that I’ve ever seen. And maybe it has something to do with the polarization of politics, but it is unfortunate.”
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Death toll from DRC machete attack hits 19
NINETEEN people, including a pregnant woman, were killed in a machete attack in a region of the Democratic Republic of Congo that has been repeatedly attacked by Ugandan rebels...
Muslim-majority Indonesia cracks down on alcohol sales
Indonesia on Thursday banned small retailers from selling beer, despite an outcry from the booze industry and in tourism hotspots over the Muslim-majority country''s latest offensive against drinking....
Related Stories
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter