By John B. Thawite
Rwenzururu prime minister Noah Nzaghale has been released from Police custody where he had been detained for questioning, over the multiple attacks in Kasese, Bundibugyo and Ntoroko districts on July 5.
Nzaghale was picked from his office in Kasese town amid tight security and whisked to Kasese Central Police Station. Kasese District Police Commander Michael Musani Sabila said Nzaghale was released after recording a statement, but investigations into the case were still going on.
“We are still holding three other Rwenzururu officers,” Musani said.
Those still behind bars are the kingdom’s environment officer, Erisaniya Mberemu; the information minister and kingdom’s spokesperson, Joshua Kalimwithako Baluku and the chairman of the Rwenzururu esyomango S’Obusinga (youth wing), Mitusera Isebayanda.
“There is a high security alert to counter any further threats,” Musani said. he said deployments around various parts of the district had also increased.
“Registration centres for the ongoing national ID project have also been provided with extra security to ensure the process is not disrupted,” Musani said on phone.
Reception centre opened
Meanwhile, a reception centre has been opened for armed groups willing to surrender to the authorities, at the district multi-purpose hall near Kasese Airfield, Musani said.
“A good number are calling us, expressing their willingness to surrender, saying they were deceived into taking up arms against the State,” a top district leader said. The source said so far, three of the attackers had surrendered in Bundibugyo and handed over three guns.
Fill in your Name and Email Address to receive a Free Newsletter
Kasese attacks: Rwenzururu premier released