By Moses Walubiri
KAMPALA - Government will Thursday issue a statement in parliament about the recent allegations about an attempt on the life of Speaker of Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, using a parcel bomb.
Earlier this month, the media was awash with allegations that a parcel bomb intended for Kadaga seriously injured a parliamentary staff as he attempted to open it.
At the time of the incident, Kadaga was out of the country on official duty. Upon her return, the Kamuli Woman MP confirmed the incident, although she was eager to downplay it, saying the matter was being handled by detectives.
“All leaders in this country are potential targets,” Kadaga said, tacitly trying to refute claims that she was being targeted.
However, Prime Minister, Amama Mbabazi, in response to demands by Medard SSeggona (Busiro East) for government to come clean on the matter told legislators on Tuesday that the executive will be issuing a statement to the house this afternoon.
“Obviously, the life of every Ugandan, more so that of a Speaker of Parliament is precious. Any threats are taken seriously. We shall be coming up with a statement on Thursday,” said Mbabazi.
Although the veracity of the incident has been the subject of animated debate both on the social media and the corridors of parliament, it has nevertheless brought into sharp focus the efficacy of security detail at parliament, despite having a fully-fledged police station.
A parcel bomb is an explosive device sent via the postal service, and designed with the intention to injure or kill the recipient when opened.
In 1969, for example, the first President of the Mozambique Liberation Front, Eduardo Mondlane, was killed by a parcel bomb concealed in a book posted to him in Dar es Saalam.
Fill in your Name and Email Address to receive a Free Newsletter
Gov’t to make statement on Kadaga bomb threat